Meta Tags are special HTML tags that describe the content of the web page. The search engines will use this information to help others find what they are looking for. Basic Meta Tags include the following elements: Title, Description and Keywords.
Title: Search engines use this title as the title of your web site that they display to those performing searches on the internet.
Description: The search engines use this block to provide a short description of your web site along with the title.
Keywords: The Search engines use these words to help their customers find your site. These are the searching words you expect someone looking for your site to enter, if your page contains the same keyword as the searcher types; your page is likely to return as a search result.
How are Meta Tags Used?: If someone is looking for 'dogs', then they will probably go to any one of the search engines and enter 'dogs' into the search field. The search engine will then check all of the pages that have been registered with them and find all of the pages that use the word 'dogs'. The search engine will then list these pages in order of how often the word 'dogs' is used on the page, and how effectively the title, description, keywords and page are set up. If your page has all of the things that this particular search engine is looking for, then you will be pulled up on the list of options for the person doing the search. However, not all search engines are the same, so it is a very good idea to go to the search engines and find out how they would like your pages.
Adding Meta Tags: Once you have built your page and are ready to submit to search engines, you must first add Meta tags to the page. Please follow these steps:
1. Go into EZ-PageBuilder™ and open the page you want to submit to the search engine.
2. Click on the 'File' text to open the File menu. Select the 'Meta Tags' option. You will automatically be brought to the Meta Tags page and will find three fields.
3. In the Title field, type the title of the page that you are working on. Generally, this will have your company name and your most important keyword in it. Notice that there is a 3000 character limit in this field. It is not a good idea to make your title very long, 5 to 15 words should be adequate.
4. In the Description field, type a short, descriptive, sentence using two or more of your keywords. You need not use your company name here unless it is one of your keywords. Notice that there is a 3000 character limit in this field. It is not a good idea to make your description very long.
5. In the Keywords field, type in your most important keyword first. Then enter the next most important keyword. Continue entering keywords, going from most important to least important. Be sure not to use more than 30 keywords for single page. The format for Keywords is: keyword, keyword, keyword, etc. (Do not use the words Akeyword@, but rather type in your own keywords.)
Click here for the EZ-NetAdvantage article about Meta Tags and Keywords
Keywords are individual to every page.
- Keywords are used in the following format: keyword, keyword, keyword, keyword, etc.
- ALL Keywords must be found on the page that they are used.
- The Keywords on your web page cannot be the same color as the background on the web page.
- You should never exceed 30 Keywords per page.
- You should not use your Keywords TOO often on your page.
- The most important Keywords should also be used in the description.
- The most important Keyword should also be used in the title.
- You cannot submit category pages and other cgi created pages to search engines.
After entering all of the information you wish to use, click on the 'Submit' button. If you have decided that you do not want to add Meta Tags now, you can use the 'Cancel' button or the little 'x' in the top right corner of the little window that you have been working in.
Be sure to save the page.
You will now need to go to the Promotion Tools/Search Engine Tools to submit your pages to the search engines.